Welcome To My Mog House

This is my diary of my adventures in Vana'diel. This diary will change as my adventures changes. Sit back, read and enjoy.

All comments, tips and advice will be appreciated

Photobucket

Sunday, June 29, 2008

What Got Me Into Playing FFXI

I have never been much of a online game fan. I'm not much of a gamer at all. I have a PS2. I used to play more back in the day. I prefer the fighting games like DOA and street fighter. Then my brother got me into RPG games. I bought Inu Yasha RPG. I was enjoying the game immensely until work had gotten out of hand. So I put it down. Life went really awry this year. Then I met a guy. He got along with my brother. They talked video games all the time. For a while, I thought my brother stole my boyfriend. Well they discussed FFXI. Then one day, my brother got a lot of packages. He purchased the harddrive & network adapter for the PS2, the inital FFXI game and the expansion packs. So he got to playing. I watched him. It looked cool, but I still wasn't interested. Then my boyfriend said that he's been playing for a year or 2 and he has like 3 level 75 jobs for his character. Now I had both my brother & my boyfriend in my ear hounding me about it. My brother said he would pay the extra $1 a month for my character. I said it wasn't necessary. I was not going to play. Then my boyfriend gave me the excuse that we can get together on FFXI to chat & play when we can't see each other. I said we can call each other on the phone. So one day, I went to the mall with my brother and he dragged me into gamestop. I was looking around. I asked my brother if you can play FFXI on a computer instead. He said yes. I said great. I saw the PC game & it was cheap, $20. I was thinking about putting it on my laptop. That way I can play from where ever I am. However, when we were on the bus ride home I decided to read the game box more clearly. I needed to get a graphics card for my computer in order to play the game. We got off the bus and headed into Staples. I was looking for a graphic card for a laptop, but they don't sell them. So I ended up getting it for my main desktop computer. When I got home, I then opened the package to install the software on my system (this is after installing the graphics card). I look at the disc and it says DVD-Rom. My desktop does not have a DVD-ROM. Luckily I have my house networked. I copied the files from the disk in my laptop onto my main desktop. I was then able to install & set up the game on my desktop. I still didn't play it though. I set up my account and all. I had free 30 day trial. My boyfriend came to visit and tried it out. He got frustrated because he's used to using a PS2 controller. Of course I ragged him about it. So I decided to finally try to see what his griping was about. Of course, it cool for a while, then the stupid mouse pissed me off because it controls both camera & direction. The screen would spin uncontrollably. Then I used the # pad on the keyboard for direction & used mouse for camera. It was still difficult. So I gave up. Then my brother said to try on his PS2. I logged in my account on his PS2 and it was sweet. I wasn't having any difficulty at all. I was loving it. I leveled to level 3 in one evening. My desire to play was still not there until my brother ordered me a controller switch for my computer, using my credit card. How about that? I got the switch 3 to 4 days later. We got it programmed to the gameplay as the PS2. Once I started playing with the contoller, I fell in love with the game. I have to play at least 2 times a week. At first, my boyfriend was powerleveling me. Then I went around on my own or w/my brother. Now I'm big & bad enough to play on my own. So basically, the 2 men in my life coerced me into playing by lots of nagging & making the game easy for me to play. Now look at me, a level 16 Red Mage.

No comments: